The position is part of the externally funded project « Human Rights Discourse in Migration Societies (MeDiMi) » and is to be filled on a fixed-term basis in accordance with § 2 WissZeitVG and § 72 HHG with the opportunity for own academic qualification at the Chair of Public Law and European Law (Prof. Dr. Jürgen Bast), at the Faculty of Law. The salary is in accordance with the collective labour agreement of the State of Hessen (E 13 TV‑H).
As long as the maximum permissible duration of a fixed-term contract is not exceeded, you will be employed for a period of 4 years.
The MeDiMi project is a Research Group funded by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (Forschungsgruppe 5321). The subject of this interdisciplinary research project is to determine the scope, forms and consequences of the expansion of human rights discourse in contemporary migration societies. Legal analysis, social-science research and cultural studies in ten subprojects will provide the empirical basis for a theory of discursive practice in migration societies intended to achieve a new understanding of the role of human rights in contemporary societies. The subprojects are based at the universities of Gießen and Marburg and three other institutions. The advertised position is assigned to the coordination and theory project directed by the speaker of the Research Group.
Your tasks at a glance
- As postdoctoral researcher, you will collaborate closely with the members of the Research Group to contribute to achieving the project’s overall aim of developing an empirically founded theory of human rights discourse in migration societies. In particular, approaches that are based in practice theory will be applied to this effect
- You will conduct independent research in the context of the Research Group
- You will take part in the planning and implementation of cross-project workshops, lectures and conferences
- You will take on administrative tasks for the Research Group to a limited extent. In this respect, you will collaborate with the project’s steering group and a project coordinator performing functions in science management
The provision of academic services (including the processing of a research project financed by third party funds on a temporary basis) also serves the purpose of academic qualification.
Your qualifications and competences
- Completed Master‘s degree or equivalent university degree
- Completed or advanced doctoral project (PhD or equivalent) in law, preferably focussing on public law, in social sciences, or in cultural studies
- Experience or documented interest in interdisciplinary research involving law
- Documented interest in social or legal theory
- Relevant publications in the field of migration and/or human rights
Our offer to you
- A varied job with flexible working hours
- Free use of local public transport (LandesTicket Hessen)
- More than 100 training seminars, workshops and e‑learning opportunities per year for personal development, as well as a wide range of health and sports activities
- Remuneration according to TV‑H, company pension scheme, child allowance and special payments
- Good compatibility of family and career (certificate « audit familiengerechte hochschule »)
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Prof. Dr. Jürgen Bast by e‑mail (email@example.com).
JLU aims to employ more women in academic research. We therefore particularly encourage female candidates to apply. JLU is regarded as a family-friendly university. Applicants with children are very welcome. Applications from disabled people of equal aptitude will be given preference.
Apply via our online form by June 28th, 2022, indicating reference number 362/11. We look forward to receiving your application.